Saturday, May 12, 2007

Some Personal Reflection

Well its been a few days back at home and it feels almost as if I had never left. It is so strange traveling from one reality to another and now in reflection I am trying to piece together how exactly these two could join.

Looking back at all my pictures (which I took a lot of, 2000, I think) I can easily recall my recent adventures in Indonesia. I can still remember the exact moment that I decided I wanted to go to Indonesia. I was checking my email stumbled upon an email which had information about an Indonesian trip I had a sense I wanted to go and immediately sent an email of inquiry. I have always wanted to go on an international study because of how the experience would add to my personal practice. And in coming back I now realize how much this trip will effect and enrich my practice in both ways I am aware and unaware of.

Some of my most memorable moments was when I stepped out of the air port in to the hot humid climate in Surabaya and thought to my self "what have I done!" I find it quite funny now but at the time I had myself quite concerned. It was amazing to notice how my body climatized itself over the span of 4 weeks. The first week and a half I felt the heat and the humidity and in the last couple of weeks I never thought of it and even occasionally shut off the air conditioning in the room.

Another memorable moment was my first road crossing. In Indonesia there are cross walks but they are not used like they are in Canada. Instead you use your hand with your palm open and facing the on coming traffic and you make your way through the mess of cars to the other side sometimes, actually, most times you were running! One of the instructors on the first day took the group in two sections and gave a lesson on road crossing. When it came to my turn I don't think I have been that scared for a long time!

When reaching the end of our two weeks friendships started to form between translators and Malaspina students. We had a chance to go to the water park, which was extremely fun and you didn't feel self conscious as it was the norm to cover up. There was even a slide which I thought resembled a ride at Disney Land, it was so scary and I often wondered the safety of the ride but it sure didn't stop me from going back for more. It was very sad to say goodbye to our new friends. They were all very generous people who had a wonderful sense of humor and were so giving and were especially helpful at our practicum sites. Many of us on the trip are and will continue to keep in touch with these new friends.

My practicum site was that of Don Bosco, Infant and toddlers. I loved going to my placement everyday knowing the children would be there and be happy to see me, as well as, the sisters and caregivers welcoming presence. I had an opportunity to learn a lot about culture and explore how the orphanage was run and why. My observations and participation at this site helped me to see a reality that you often only hear about. There are some practices regarding discipline that you would never hear of in Canada and if you did well there would be trouble. It was interesting to note how well the orphanage was run and the love that both the sisters and caregivers had for the children. Also how well they utilized what they had was something I noticed. In Canada we have so much and don't realize the hard ships some people face because they don't have near the amount of luxuries we have.

While at my placement I learned to step back and observe and be mindful of my "western views". Stopping and questioning why do I think a certain way and is that the only "right" way or are there alternatives? Looking at culture and context was very important. Also reflecting on what my culture is and what is it that I value helped me to identify cultural difference as well as understand these differences. Imagining how I would feel if someone came in and started questioning my culture and diminishing its importance was something I thought about quite often. I was very concerned with respecting the culture and was eager to learn more.

In my personal practice this awareness and critical reflection of culture in general, as well as, my culture is something that will be present. Having the ability to recognize, appreciate and create an environment where culture is acknowledge and encouraged will have a positive effect on my practice and help to strengthen it.

It was very sad leaving Don Bosco and the thought that I would not see these wonderful people again was not one I could entertain until I left the placement on my last day. They were such generous, kind, and grateful people, who I will never forget!

I feel so lucky to have had this experience! There was really nothing that could have prepared me enough. In looking back I am so glad that I stumbled across this opportunity and I am thankful for those who helped and encouraged me to accomplish this experience.

I am going to miss Nasi Gorenge Aym for lunch and dinner everyday, the Muslim call to prayer at 4:30am every morning, the traffic and disregard for road lines, the adrenaline rush while crossing roads, the geckos scurrying around on my wall, and last but not least the lovely warm and inviting Indonesian people.

No comments: